A 1980 visit to the Metre gauge Nyon-St-Cergue-Morez (NStCM) before modernisation of the railway was completed in 1985. The vintage ABDe 4/4 railcars, some dating from the opening of the railway in 1916, were in opertion.
The Nyon-St-Cergue-Morez (NStCM) is a metre gauge railway in western Switzerland from the Swiss Federal Railways main-line at Nyon to Morez in France and a connection with the main SNCF system. The section from La Cure on the Swiss French border to Morez was closed in 1958. The first section from Nyon to St Cergue was opened in 1916 with completion to the border at La Cure inaugurated in 1917. The final section in France to Morez was completed in 1921. The French section was built by the Chemins de fer électriques du Jura (CFEJ).
The total length of the line was 39 km with 27 km remaining after closure of the French section. Electrified at the unusual voltage of 2200 volt dc from the outset, traffic was always maintained with railcars capable of hauling additional carriages. At the time of this visit, in September 1980, there were seven ABDe 4/4 railcars. Numbere 1, 5 and 6 were all built in 1916. Nos. 2 and 3 (built 1936 and 1924) were from the CFEJ with 10 and 11 constructed in 1918.
This visit was made because modernisation of the line and its railcars was planned. These plans included changing the supply voltage to 1500 volt dc, replacing the wooden supports for the overhead to metal and the purchase of modern railcars. The voltage change was undertaken in sections with the old railcars operating a reduced speed. Sadly, the end for the old stock came in December 1985.
CLICK THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER IMAGES.