Caption - South African Railways (SAR) 6B class 4-6-0 no.500 (Neilson 5133/1897) at De Aar loco shed in October 1968. Designed by the Cape Government Railway (CGR), fifty-five locos were built in 1897 and 1898. Apart from five, Neilson or Neilson-Reid in Glasgow built all the locos. Originally passenger locos they were soon replaced by larger and more modern locos and ended their days with more mundane work. The last of the class was withdrawn in 1973. No. 500 is plinthed outside Vereeniging station.
Country - South Africa Date - 1968 General Photo - 440
Image from the Lou Johnson Collection
Go to list of all content from South Africa